Enclosed Footwear is compulsory for all Athletes competing at our centre and in all Little Athletics carnivals and competitions. Spike shoes must be carried in a suitable bag.
Any person seeking exemption from wearing shoes must support their application with a relevant medical certificate on the day of competition, before competing.
- Spikes may be worn at Centre level competition in the U11 to U17 age groups
- Athletes in U6 to U10 are not allowed to wear spikes in any events. This includes spike shoes (without spikes or blanks) that have rosettes around the spike areas or which have anything hard/sharp protruding from any area of the sole
- Competitors in the U11 to U12 age groups may wear spike shoes in long jump, triple jump, high jump and javelin and in events run entirely in lanes
- Competitors in the U13 to U17 age groups may wear spike shoes in long jump, triple jump, high jump, javelin and in all track events (except walks)
- Spike shoes with spikes removed shall not be worn by any competitors in events where they are not able to wear spike shoes
- Spike shoes must only be worn during an event and are not to be worn to and from an event
- Spiked shoes must not be worn in the stand or outer areas of the track
- Spiked shoes should be carried in a suitable bag at all times and stored safely when not in use
- On synthetic track: spikes must be no longer than 7mm.
- On synthetic field: spikes must be no longer than 9mm.
- On grass track or field: spikes must be no longer than 12mm
- Any number of spikes up to 11 may be accommodated on each shoe, but the number of spike positions shall not exceed 11
- Spike shoes must be worn with all holes filled with a complete set of spikes, with no more than two blanks / slugs installed
- Any athlete not exercising care when using spikes may be disqualified from wearing them for the remainder of the competition m
- No spikes are allowed to be worn in any Discus, Shot put or Walking event